Followers

Saturday 24 April 2010

ProMarker Tutorial - Skin







There are no hard and fast rules to this as each individual may like to use different shades.
Basically use 2 or 3 shades similar to each other for the skin and another colour for the cheeks.
I like to use 3 shades for the skin which are
Ivory Y418
Blush O729
Oatmeal O628

Cheeks
Pastel Pink R738



I have stamped 'Sitting Chloe' on to smooth white card using Memento Ink 'Rich Cocoa'
If you use a dark brown ink rather than black your image will appear much softer



First I take the Ivory pen and colour the face leaving the middle clear where the light would be shining
I work in small circular motions rather than using strokes



Next I take the Blush pen and colour around the edges



I take the Ivory pen again and go over the blush working in small circular motions and dragging out the darker colour so that it 'blends'



I use darker Oatmeal around the very edges of the face as this is where the face would be darkest



I take the Blush pen again and go over the Oatmeal to drag out the colour



I then blend out the edge of the Blush again with the Ivory to soften the look



I add cheeks with the Pastel Pink.....don't worry if your image looks like 'Rag Dolly Anna' at this stage as the cheeks will be blended in



Blend in the edges of the cheeks with the Ivory pen so they don't look so harsh




Build up the skin on the hands in the same way as the face
I have coloured them first with the Ivory pen........



...........then added the other two colours where there would be less light and blended them together as before

If you are new to ProMarkers and are planning to build a collection then I recommend you get the sets 'Skin Tones' & 'Skin Accents'  I have used pens from both sets in my tutorial
I wll be back to show you how to colour Chloe's hair and clothes another day
Right now I am going out to sit in the garden as it's a lovely sunny day!
I hope you have found my tutorial useful....please leave a comment if you have!


Photobucket

22 comments:

kay said...

fab tutorial,x

Carolk said...

Thank you Janet, x

XxJULESxX said...

Thanks Janet i was never happy with my way of doing it!!!

Christine said...

Hiya Janet thanks for this tut I know where I'm going wrong now!!! am not blending with the palest colour every time I put down another colour..

Hugs Christine xx

ThePurplePlace said...

Hi Janet,
This is perfect! I have my new markers (Thank you), and wanted to "play" with them this weekend. Now with you tutorial I can ALL set and even lucky enough to have this adorable Chloe image!!

WooHoo! Thanks for the great tutorial!!

Lisa

Claire said...

Really helpful Janet thanks! I've still yet to invest in my PMs but skin tones is definitely a pack I need to get. Claire x

maxine said...

Great tutorial thanks Janet

Pamela said...

Thank you, that is great.
Pam x

Sheila said...

Janet, Thanks for this. I also see where I am going wrong too. We will all have perfect faces now!! I wish! Sheila:)X

Kimbo said...

Thanks Janet, very clear. Must have a go at this. Kim x

Scatty Cards said...

Thanks, will go and have a go xx

Kat said...

Thanks for the tutorial Janet. I'm not very good at faces but I think I'm even worse at hair!

Kat x

Sarpreet said...

Thank you for the tutorial,much appreciated x

Nannieflash said...

Wow Janet youve come a long way in a very short time, your tutorial is fabulous and so helpful to, not so sure of the promarkers prefer the copics myself but your instructions do help believe me. With love and hugs Shirleyxxxxxx

Sarah said...

Fab tutorial, thanks Janet x

SallyB said...

Hi Janet..great idea to put up a tutorial.
I love the effect of leaving the blank area in the middle of the face..I have never done that but I think it looks really effective.
I usually use blossom pink for the cheeks but I'm gonna give pastel a go now. Thanks for the tips!

Nettie (aka nuttienettie) said...

Thank you for a gr tutorial, just bought first few markers and looking through info on web. Your's is the clearest I 've come across thanks again

Nettie (aka nuttienettie) said...

Thank you for a gr tutorial, just bought first few markers and looking through info on web. Your's is the clearest I 've come across thanks again

Pat Clarke said...

You're amazing. I've often wondered how to shade and blend like you do. Now I know. Have ordered both the 'face/skin sets and fingers crossed, I can paint them myself instead of doing it on the computer. Thanks again.xx

Elke said...

Thanks Janet, I do struggle with my colouring so any help is gratefully received.

Elke XX

Anonymous said...

This is such a great tutorial Janet, thank you for taking the time to write it. I have just bought my first Promarkers and this was invaluable!

Lindac said...

Thanks for the fab tutorial.
Could you tell me what card you use? I've tried loads but they all blled outside the lines with promarkers, even the super smooth.
I'm thinking of the Letraset bleedproof paper but unsure how this would work with printer ink for the digi stamps.
Thank you