Followers

Saturday 2 November 2013

Knitted Ear Warmer

Just wanted to show you this knitted ear warmer I made for my teenage grandaughter
......but first I would like to mention it's another  'A Gem of A Challenge' day today.
The challenge is hosted by Christine which is 'Christmas is Coming'
Caroline is our lovely guest designer and Kevin and Helen make their debuts as DT members
All beautiful cards made by the team so pop over and take a look!


I have been doing a bit of knitting recently on an evening to help me wind down....also it keeps my mind off knibbling as I am on a diet lol.
I used to knit a lot when the kids were little but haven't done too much over the years as the demand dried up. Had grandchildren but I don't think it was too fashionable to put babies in hand knit stuff....well that was the impression I got lol
Anyway it seems to be coming back in fashion and I have been having a go at seamless knitting that our friends in the US seem to love so much!
This is the latest item I made which is an ear warmer for my teenage grandaughter Chloe



Pattern

With chunky wool and 6.5mm needles cast on/bind on 76 stitches. Join round and place marker
Knit 4 rows knit 2 pearl 2
Knit 6 rows (every row knit in circular knitting makes stocking stitch)
Pearl 1 Row
Knit 1 Row
Pearl 1 Row
Knit 6 rows
Knit 4 rows in knit2 pearl 2 
turn inside out and cast off/bind off  the same way you just knit for a neater finish

Lots of free flower patterns here so take your pick

My tension/gauge  gave me 4 stitches to the inch but you can make it smaller larger using different size needles
I made this to fit my head 21.5 inches...you take off 2 inches as the hat has to stretch to fit the head so that gave me 19.5 inches which you times by the amount of stitches per inch in your tension swatch.
That gave me 78 stitches but I  took away 2 so the knit 2 pearl 2 rib would work out so that gave me 76 stitches

To make a tension swatch cast on 20 stitches and knit for an inch or two.
With a flat ruler count  the stitches over four inches and divide by four......you then get the amount of stitches you are knitting per inch.
..............so  you can use any size needle and yarn to make your ear warmer!




9 comments:

Claire said...

I am just loving all your knitted creations Janet which keep popping up on FB. You are a clever lady. Hugs, Claire x

Christine said...

Awww Janet very chic I love hand knitted garments there always one of a kind..DD Alison started knitting again after a 10+ yr gap, shes a dab hand at baby garments even knits from 2 dif patts. she loves knitting Aran..the frantage is very similar to E/bossing pwd. it just has some thick bits in.. for the S/flakes which are fiddly I put some versamark on card then put the frantage on..for larger pieces you can put frantage where you want (ie round the framed image) & heat from underneath to melt it..HTH.

Christine x

Crafts-by-Alison.blogspot.com said...

If only I could knit lol gorgeous ear warmer. Love Alison xx

Sandra H said...

Oh this is gorgeous x

Marianne's Craftroom said...

I am disappointed she liked it as I love it, such gorgeous colours and that flower is fab

ribenaruby said...

Oh wow Janet, love this, I love knitting too, great pastime! Have a brilliant weekend! Ruby x

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is fab Janet, could do with one of those but the problem is I can knit but just don't enjoy it!
Helen x

Nannieflash said...

I bet your Granddaughter was thrilled with what youve made her, love the colours and the design. hugs Shirleyxxxx

Sheila said...

I just came upon your website and your blog love the pattern for the ear warmers thank you